THIS I BELIEVE - EMMALYNN
As a kid I was obsessed with the idea, “Everything has to be perfect”. During the summer every morning I would wake up and head straight into doing something art related. Rather it was painting, coloring, or crocheting, it always had to be perfect to the tea. I was driven by the image, ‘If it's not perfect, it's not worth keeping, or showing.’ Shortly in the future, I learned that's not how it has to be, as why fix something that does need to be fixed?
Everytime I would paint I would redo the same stroke at least 30 times, at the end of my painting it looked smudged, and blurry. It didn't need to be fixed, but I let the’ imperfections’ drive me to fix it. I would get mad, as it wasn't perfect: it had changed so much, it didn't make me happy seeing the result. After a while of having this mindset, I stopped painting. I was disappointed and upset about every painting.
This affected me a lot, in many ways. I stopped trying on assignments, or even art, as I was afraid it wasn't going to be perfect. It got in the way of trying new things, like band, or any sort of new hobby. Having this mindset not only affects myself, it also affects my friends near me .This mindset guides the people around me to also start believing everything has to be perfect. During group projects I was also very snappy, I would get mad at my friends if things weren't perfect. In the end I was very mean, I really hurt my friends feelings.
Being perfect all the time isn't good, as we are humans and we make mistakes. As Sageeta Rena once said, “No one is perfect, so don't be obsessed with perfection, because it's the balance that will make your life more meaningful”. This quote shows having imperfections is what makes an art piece perfect. Every art piece has ‘mistakes’, but that's what makes it art: it wouldn’t be so special and meaningful without the little ‘mistakes’. Imperfections show you have emotions, and that you're a human who cares and tries; so don't hide the imperfections, let them shine.
Comments
Post a Comment