THIS I BELIEVE - KYIA
Empathy
“I will never walk in your shoes, and you will never walk in mine, and we shouldn't have to in order to empathize with each other.” Madison Beer wrote this in her memoir. I completely agree with her. I believe that empathy is one of the most important things. I don’t think you should have to go through it yourself to be able to empathize with someone who is. Most people don’t know it but empathy is an amazing gift. People will sit there and preach about how they are there for others and how they have so much empathy. But the moment one of their family or friends try to talk to them they make it about themselves or even worse say it's too much for them. That's not empathy, that's not even being a good person.
When my grandma was dying all I wanted was someone to talk to, someone to understand. The morning of the day she died was probably one of the worst mornings of my life. She wasn’t dead yet I woke up to my mom running around. She had come into my room and told me that my grandma had been life lined. At that moment I knew she wasn’t going to make it. And this is where the lack of empathy started. I had asked my dad if I could skip school. He told me no. So I went. I was so quiet. I’m not a quiet person most of the time so people could tell something was wrong. I had P.E. and I didn’t want to participate. One of the girls in my class is Sofia. She showed the least amount of empathy that I’ve ever seen in my life. She was yelling at me for not doing anything. And it was upsetting me so I had an attitude she yelled at me for having an attitude. When I told her I was going through stuff and she goes through things. When I went home that night I lost my grandma. And when I went to school she stopped me in the hallway and tried to give me a hug.
This same girl would come to youth and talk about how to be a good person and show empathy.
Comments
Post a Comment