THIS I BELIEVE - NON
This I Believe: Equal Rights, Equal Fights
I believe in Equal Rights, Equal Fights. Not just as a catchy phrase, but as a principle that demands fairness, responsibility, and integrity in how we treat one another. Equality shouldn’t be selective or symbolic; it must be real, tangible, and lived.
To me, equal rights means that everyone, no matter their gender, race, sexuality, or background, deserves the same freedoms, opportunities, and voice. But too often, our fight for equality stops at convenience. We want rights so we all share responsibility, unbiased justice, and parity in protection. That’s where the second part of the phrase comes in, ‘equal fights’
I don’t mean violence, but accountability. I believe in standing on equal footing, whether it’s in a courtroom, workplace, or debate. If we’re going to claim equal rights, we must also accept equal standards. Respect must flow both ways. Equality isn’t about tipping the scales in favor of one group; it’s about making it level. How people treat each other should always be equal; a man shouldn’t be judged as a predator for just being at the park, and a woman shouldn’t be judged as incompetent for doing a job traditionally done by men. People of African descent shouldn’t be arrested or attacked just because a racial profile says that they are more likely to commit a crime than a white person.
Too often, equality is treated as a one-way street. Some people demand rights but resist the responsibilities that are included with them. Others call for fairness but are quick to make exceptions when it benefits their group. This kind of selective justice undermines the very idea of equality. Real fairness doesn’t bend based on identity or ideology; it applies to everyone equally and consistently.
“Equal rights, equal fights” means recognizing that justice isn’t always fair, that protection is often unequal, and that all responsibilities should be equally shared. Violence shouldn’t be your first or only option, but if it is, you should be able to defend yourself without having prejudice put against you for your race, gender, identity, sexuality, or background. Respect should flow both ways, without a bias to give or take away respect.
This I Believe
Comments
Post a Comment