THIS I BELIEVE - CARMALEE
No matter how weird to others, I will always be me. This I believe.
By: Carmalee Ann
“Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.”, Oscar Wilde. No matter what I will bring my full self to the table. The mismatched socks, too many facts about obscure animals, and the obsession with the unusual and creepy and all. I believe in not showing up as the polished version that people think that I should be, but as the person I truly am. No matter how weird it is to others.
I believe in staying true to myself and who I am, even if I do seem off to others. Throughout my life I've been given weird looks, be it for my sense of humor or the things I'm passionate about. Why don't you dress like us? That's weird. Why do you like that? I could practically hear them think. But I didn’t like how they dressed, couldn’t get myself to pretend to like the same things as them. I felt lost when I tried to pressure myself to fit in and found out fairly early on that I just couldn’t. When I was younger I was always bullied by this same girl because I just wasn’t like her. I tried my best to be more like her and her popular friends but I just couldn’t and it got worse. So I learned to Ignore her and be myself, and only then was I left alone, because she could tell I wouldn’t listen to her anymore.
Over time, I've learned that people who actually matter are the ones that accept me, not not in spite of my weirdness, but because of it. The more I embraced it the more I found the people who appreciated it. Some of my closest friends were formed because of my quirks. I've found I'm able to be more confident and creative. Which definitely helps with my art. I believe authenticity is more important than popularity where almost everyone is two faced.
Even if others see me as weird, I will always choose to be myself. I've learned that pretending to like someone else only leads to self-doubt and frustration, being yourself builds confidence and meaningful connections. My differences are not my flaws, they are what make me, me.
Comments
Post a Comment